The amazing thing about yoga is that your practice is always evolving and changing, so it never gets boring. Although the poses themselves do not change, your relationship to them will. Anyone can start a yoga practice, even if you don’t feel like you are very flexible or very strong. These things will improve the longer you practice.
– Flexibility: Stretching your tight body in new ways will help it to become more flexible, bringing greater range of motion to muscles and joints. Over time, you can expect to gain flexibility in all your body areas.
– Strength: Many yoga poses require you to support the weight of your own body in new ways, including balancing on one leg (such as in Tree Pose) or supporting yourself with your arms (such as in Downward Facing Dog). Some exercises require you to move slowly in and out of poses, which also increases strength.
– Muscle tone: As a by-product of getting stronger, you can expect to see increased muscle tone. Yoga helps shape long, lean muscles.
– Pain Prevention: Increased flexibility and strength can help prevent the causes of some types of back pain. Yoga also improves your alignment, both in and out of class, which helps prevent many other types of pain.
– Better Breathing: Most of us breathe very shallowly into the lungs and don’t give much thought to how we breathe. Yoga breathing exercises focus the attention on the breath and teach us how to better use our lungs, which benefits the entire body.
– Mental Calmness: Concentrating intently on what your body is doing has the effect of bringing calmness to the mind. Yoga also introduces you to meditation techniques, such as watching how you breathe and disengagement from your thoughts, which help calm the mind.
– Stress Reduction: Because of the concentration required, your daily troubles seem to melt away during your yoga class. This provides a much-needed break, as well as helping put things into perspective. You also learn not to dwell on past events or anticipate the future.
– Body Awareness: Yoga poses will increase your level of comfort in your own body, which will ultimately lead to improved posture and greater self-confidence.
Join our Yoga class every Wednesday 7:00 pm-8:00 pm or Vinyasa Yoga Thursday 8:30 am-9:30 am
Class included in the Fitness Package ($100/month, gym access & selected classes)